Saturday, January 18, 2014

Christmas Transfer

12/16/13

Dear Family:

Wow! Man so much has been running through my mind I am on a mental, emotional, ROLLER COASTER! I don't know where to start...
First...yesterday was quite the day let me tell you. First of all, the bishop had asked us missionaries to do a Christmas program for sacrament meeting. We had to set up this program and in the program we had a couple of musical numbers. We had to practice A LOT. I was super super super nervous because the first song, Silent Night, for verse 2 I sang a duet with another sister and I sang alto. I was scared!!!! But Dad, you would have been proud of me! Because...I DID it! And I think I did okay! The Spirit was strong and a lot of the ward was touched. Then each of the companionships gave a testimony on each of the characters in the nativity. We matched each character to a Christlike attribute. So Mary was virtuous, Joseph was obedience, the shepherds were humility and the wisemen were sacrifice. I did a talk on the wisemen. I just bore testimony of how much they sacrificed and how they sacrificed the BEST gifts for the savior. And I just talked about how we need to ask ourselves if we are giving our best time and efforts to the savior. It was fun but man I was nervous. Because not only was this in front of our ward, but the Etobicoke and Spanish wards got cancelled so all the missionaries from those wards (including zone leaders and sister training leaders) all came and watched. But again, it was good! 

Dad, thanks for being such an awesome member missionary. Those experiences are AWESOME! It helps me know that we can always be a missionary, even if you don't have the name tag on. But yeah thanks again for your testimony of reaching out and sharing the gospel and the light of Christ with others. It is so cool!

It's so funny that you hear more about Toronto than I do. I never hear any of those things you tell me...haha I guess it's good I'm out of the loop. It has been snowing...and cold...like crazy! REAL winter hit this last week!  At first I was like, "I can do this!" But man it gets cold sometimes!  The weather makes missionary work an adventure that's for sure! I gotta bundle up even more nowadays! But the snow is pretty and it feels all christmasy so that's good!

So as you know transfers came. 
I'm leaving and my comp is too. She is headed to another town to be a trainer and to whitewash. She will have a blast! There are Elders replacing us. I'm headed out to the country. 

My comp has already been serving there. I have no idea where my area is or what's going on. I am so so nervous because I might be driving in the snow. I don't know what I'm gonna do! I already scratched a mission car!  I move tomorrow.  So many mixed emotions. I couldn't even sleep last night because so many things were running through my head.

I just remember when I first came here I was nervous because I really really liked Toronto. I really did. I didn't know why I was here.
  
But now I know why.
I was here because the people here have changed me.
·         The recent convert (Nigeria) who has had the most trails and challenges I have seen in a person's life. And how she continues to hold on and believe in God when all other logical reason tells her to curse him.
·         Our newly baptized friend (name)...how he has changed. How the gospel has blessed him. How he has been happier and healthier and better.
·         (Another newly baptized friend) (Nigeria) ...how he taught me that the gospel brings happiness even if you have to sleep 2 hrs/day
·         (Name)...how you can be a missionary and a good example to your friends even if you can't be baptized. 
·         And last but not least, (name)... As you recall...last week we had only taught our friend from Guyana the restoration and the Word of Wisdom. I was nervous to see how it would all play out because her bap date was for the 15th. But God works miracles.  And I saw it this last week. We saw her every day and we were able to teach her everything. She was able to understand. And she became more and more excited to be baptized. She has great faith. Although her family isn't the most supportive, she followed what the Lord told her to do. And He told her to be baptized.

Her baptism service went well yesterday. She said she was happy. And the ward really took her in. I haven't baptized a sister yet..until her. She is like my grandma! She has the sweetest spirit ever. It's amazing how prepared she was. I'm so happy for her. I'm proud of her. And she is a strong and elect woman. I'll never forget these three weeks we've had together. 

(Cropped to respect privacy)
And I also want to testify how God helps me so so so so so so so much. While (name) was changing from her baptism, I had to give a thought in front of all the members and people who were visiting. I was nervous because I didn't know what to say. But I know that God keeps his promises. I was not confounded. And words just came. I testified of the Atonement and what a blessing it is in our lives...how we wouldn't need baptism or the church if Christ hadn't come down and paid the price for our sins. I said things that I've never said before. I felt the Spirit so strong. I probably needed to hear the things that came out of my mouth far more than the other people did. It was a cool experience for me. 

The district Christmas party was amazing. We had an ugly sweater exchange, we played a game, and we ate a lot of junk food. Man I love my district/zone. I JUST LOVE PEOPLE! I'm going to miss everyone sooo much. But I know I'm needed elsewhere so I can't argue or complain. But the people I've worked with in my district have influenced me so much. I can't thank them enough for their testimonies and examples and love towards me. It's funny because there's been a change in each companionship in our district. And our district leader became a zone leader...get this in the same zone! Crazy! 




My comp's birthday was awesome. We made cake and while she was showering I decorated our house with streamers and balloons. (This is where I can say I'm grateful I worked as a party host for Trafalga and had to decorate rooms) I don't mean to brag but I decorated it all pretty in like 15 min. It was awesome! :) But yeah we saw a lot of miracles that day and it was just great! She's 21! I swear all my companions are older than me, but I'm older than them (mission wise) It's weird!  Man I'm gonna miss her so much though. I've really gotten to know her this past transfer and all I can say is she is F.S.T.L (Future Sister Training Leader).

Anyways...other investigators have been good. But our friend from Congo couldn't make it to church cause of the snow. (AARG the dreaded snow)  We had a ward christmas party this last saturday and (name) came. By the way, they did this nativity that was awesome! It brought back memories of acting it in Grandma and Grandpa Richins' house. They had decorations, costumes, everything. They had Samuel the Lamanite on a tower! It was so cool! The party was awesome because we saw a lot of less actives that came out. 
We've been caroling, giving out Joy to the World dvds, and sharing Christmas messages with the ward members. It's been fun.  We've also been focusing on helping them invite their friends to hear a Christmas message.  So it's been a good finding tool. 

I looove you family! Thanks for being so supportive and awesome. I seriously couldn't be here and doing this without you. But each week as it goes by my testimony of this work increases. I know it's true. And I'm coming to understand what that really means to me more and more each and every day. I know it. I live it. I love it!

Sister Ogden :)

No comments:

Post a Comment