Saturday, June 7, 2014

Walking and Walking and Walking the Walk

4/14/14

HELLLLLLO FAMILY! Wow this is going to be a long email...I can feel it. Man so much is happening. I'm so pumped! First of all...thanks for the birthday posts and shoutouts and stuff! Means a lot to me! (I'm glad I still have people that haven't forgotten me) haha. No but really! Thanks again....

AND THANKS FAMILY FOR THE PACKAGES!!!! I opened my birthday package and I wish you could have seen my face. I have not been so happy to receive CLOTHES in my entire life! I tried all of them on and they fit well so don't worry about exchanging cause they all worked! YAY! So thanks a million!

My birthday was great! Last Monday we went to Dairy Queen and then went bowling. And guess who won both games? That's right! That was pretty fun...we were like the only people in the bowling alley. Then on Tuesday (my real birthday), we went and had lunch at the Elders Quorum President's house. It was very nice of them! Then we went and saw (investigator) at the hospital. That was something that was good...but at the same time it's really depressing. He is pretty much giving up and he's just in a lot of physical pain and it's really sad when you know that he's probably not going to live for much longer. We did some dropbys that day and then we went to the (member family's) for dinner. Oh man oh man they had decorations and everything! The CAFE RIO SALAD SHE MADE WAS AMAZING!!!!! I looooooooooved it. My craving has been satisfied! It was a few members and (investigator). After dinner and cake...we got to watch the Testaments with everybody. So it was great! I forgot to mention my sweet comp gave me a cake too! So all in all it was a good day!

   

Cakes!


   

Party!

Gifts!


Bday Fun!

 Which leads me to the next item of business...I NEED TO GET HEALTHIER TOO! Like take today's menu so far for instance: Apple Jacks cereal, a McFlurry, some chocolate strawberries, and mac and cheese. ...hahaha. We have so much CAKE,and CHOCOLATE I don't know what to do with it! I love it but I need to be a little more...not crazy. ha. So I need to take the Ogden Health Challenge...So here's the plan: You get healthier over there...I'll get healthier over here and then we'll all be awesome by august! Deal? Deal!

This past week I've learned two important lessons: One is that I'm so grateful for cars. And two, I'm so grateful for the missionaries who served long ago who didn't have cars and I respect them. Like really though. So...long story short the sisters that served here previous to us ran into a sign and ruined the bumper. BUT...the car place couldn't get the car in until 2 months later...So WE have to pay the price! It's been FIVE DAYS! It was going to be two days but because we drove in the car for a few extra months more damage took place and so they had to order even more parts! This city is not like Toronto where you can just hop on a bus...We have two options: hitch a ride from a member or walk. It's been quite the experience walking...like we keep feeling like those old time missionaries who just walked everywhere. On the upside...the weather has been GORGEOUS! Like I love it...it's PERFECT and SUNNY and AWESOME so no complaints. I can't believe spring is here and the snow is finally gone! It's sometimes too good to be true! Anyways then we get to talk to more people than ever before...and it's always fun to do that! We've met some good people and it's been fun! Last Saturday we couldn't get a ride from anyone so we walked 1 1/2 hrs from our home to downtown which was pretty exciting. So you weren't the only ones hiking this weekend family! I have a nice big blister on my heel that's pretty nasty. My comp's pretty grossed out about it but I don't care. I need to duct tape it! haha.

BUT...despite the fact we didn't have a car....we had MIRACLES!!!!! We had THREE investigators at church this past Sunday! YAY! The first two were two new investigators.....  One was a teenage girl. It may take some time but that's okay! She is so cool! I love teaching her because it reminds me of young women's and how much I loved it!  We need to help these teenagers receive testimonies of their own! I'm excited! Three teenage girls came to church yesterday and they seemed to like it.

Then...(investigator) came to church. So on my birthday we had appointments fall through so we were doing dropbys. We decided to drop by formers...My comp asked me what name stood out and his did. So we went and saw him. He opens the door...tells us he's considering coming back to the Church and learning again and told us to come back on Friday. SO...we did...He is awesome! He really wants to find the "true church" He's visited a lot of different churches and he wants to find truth. He does have a smoking problem so that's going to be fun. But he has intent...and I LOVE it when we meet people who are searching! He used to be an alcoholic but he's overcome that. But he is such a nice guy! Has a baptism date!

Then....(wait for it...) (investigator) CAME TO CHURCH!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! We have tried so hard to get her to church...and she came yesterday! WE WERE SO HAPPY! And she was too! She's so excited for her baptism...she's starting to invite friends and everything! Ah I'm so excited for her! Now for the hard part...helping her quit smoking... She knows already she needs to stop...so now we need to help her. But God's going to help her I know He is.

I had a really cool experience yesterday. All week we hadn't been able to get a hold of (investigator). We were nervous that we would have to drop her. But we finally reached her last Saturday and we saw her on Sunday. Since it was SUPPOSED to be a short visit we planned on just sharing an Easter Message. At the end...I bore testimony that one day we all would see the resurrected Lord...and then I started to get a little emotional... then she was starting to get emotional. Then she opened up to us about problems she was having...fears she was feeling...and just how hopeless everything seemed. When you see people struggling, it just breaks your heart! But my comp and I talked to her and related to her that there IS hope. It was cool because although I can't compare it to her experiences...I was reminded of on the first part of my mission where - I am going to be honest here - I felt despair and hopelessness. I felt unworthy...ugly and unloved...BUT I was able to get over it.. .and I remember words that my mission president and his wife said to me to help me get over it. And two days before we saw (this investigator), I was looking at my old journal AND FOUND notes that I had taken about overcoming the negative thoughts that the adversary wants us to think and believe. It was cool because I could give her words of comfort and advice that I learned when I felt hopeless... That answered one of the questions I have had my entire mission of why it was SO hard in the beginning of my mission for me? Why did I have to struggle so much? One of the reasons might be because I could help people like her have hope and I would understand at least a little bit where they were coming from. It was so amazing...and it was a great lesson to me that the hard times are necessary for they shape us into people that can influence and help others.

I'm so excited for Easter this Sunday! My thoughts and prayers are that you will focus on Christ and your personal relationship with Him. I know that He lives. I've come to know Him more on my mission and I hope I can continue to get to know Him more. I'm so grateful for the miracle of His sacrifice and Resurrection. I love the atonement....I know it's real and everlasting.

AHHH! I don't have time to write you what I wanted to about what I learned in PMG (Preach My Gospel) but I'll direct you to a quote... It's on pg 156 it's under "Talk with Everyone" and the sentences start with "As" and then it ends with "recognize opportunities." I know that if we LOOK and PRAY for opportunities to serve and teach gospel truths those opportunities will be given to us. It's easy to get frazzled running everywhere from day to day life. But if we stop and prayerfully look for missionary moments and service opportunities they WILL be given to us. It all starts with prayer my friends! Well I love you! And I love it here! I love this gospel so much and I am so grateful for it! Have a good week!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment