Saturday, June 7, 2014

Listening With Love

4/8/14

It's a bright, sunny day here in Ontario. When I was watching the temple grounds during conference, I was just like, "It's so GREEN there!" Everything here is brown and muddy.... But one day it'll be like that. I'm enjoying each week because it's getting warmer. YES!! :) Spring is here! :)

I'm glad you enjoyed conference. Quoting my district leader, "Conference is like the Super Bowl out here on your mission." I loved it. I don't know if I have a favorite talk, BUT....Elder Scott's, Pres. Uchtdorf's, and Elder Bednar's talks stood out to me. I loved how conference talked a lot about loving others and the atonement. I also loved how speakers talked about standing up for what we believe in, even when it's not the "popular" thing to do. There are SO many ways to implement what you learn at conference, it's crazy. I hope that from conference I can love others more abundantly, appreciate and utilize the atonement, and be more grateful for my life. After conference...as I was pondering what was said, I just felt an overwhelming feeling of love from my Heavenly Father. It was a sweet reminder that despite weaknesses and imperfections, God still loves me and is willing to help me overcome them. 

That is SO funny about Stephen Layton meeting Dad's cousin on his mission! Sounds like he's quite the missionary down south. And congrats to Paige! I'm excited to see her at BYU! :) 

Okay well...last week was another week of miracles. 

We found a new investigator. The Elders Quorum President here is actually a medical professional. He gave us a call last week and told us to go visit this former patient of his who was struggling. That very night an appointment fell through so we decided to go drop by. She let us in and we taught her a very powerful plan of salvation. She is going through some really tough situations.  It broke my heart to see how broken this woman was. But my comp and I felt God's love for her SO much. As we testified of God's love and plan for her, she got pretty emotional....and you could feel the spirit SO strong. I am SO grateful for the plan of salvation. It, along with the atonement of Christ, can carry us through our deepest trials and sorrows. When I meet people that go through things that I can't even imagine what it would be like, I always remind myself that it's God who knows her inside and out...and He knows how to help her.  She accepted baptism but because of her circumstances and situation it might take longer. 

(Investigator) came to conference! Yes! He came to all four sessions of it too. He seemed to enjoy conference...it was hard for him to focus during the entire thing...but when Pres Monson spoke he was FULLY ENGAGED. And after he spoke (investigator) said, "I think I connected to Pres Monson more than the other speakers." YES! 

(A different investigator) came to a part of conference...the Sunday morn session...but she is not doing well physically so she left after Elder Ballard’s talk...but I'm grateful she saw Elder Uchdorf's talk on gratitude. She's had it HARD. And i mean HARD. So I think she needed that. We are going to see her today and see how she is. 

Last week we decided to pay (name) a visit in the hospital. We were both a little nervous because we've only met him once. But we came in and it was really really touching. Here's this guy who told us part of his life story. His life also hasn't been the best. He's in this bed..his stomach is completely bloated...and he's practically dying but we talked to him. He doesn't have friends...and his wife calls him occasionally but that's it. No one visits him or anything...not even his family. It's sad. So for us to come and visit with him meant a lot to him I think. He believes in God and Christ...he's actually read the Book of Mormon before and met with missionaries before. But I don't know what happened. We just talked to him about life...We saw him yesterday and he actually seemed to be doing better and it looks like he will be released hopefully mid week. But they still have to drain fluid out of his system every week/few days. His liver has completely failed him so his life is slowly slipping away. We testified of what we learned at conference...about God's plan and the atonement... and our conversations are super deep. It's super cool. It meant a lot to me visiting him at the hospital because it also reminded me of Grandpa...and although I can't visit him in Utah...I can visit those who are suffering here in Canada and help them. It was pretty neat. 

(Another investigator) was so set on conference but her health keeps holding her back from actually coming. It's frustrating. We'll have to see how we can help get her to church. Other than that everything is good with her. She loves the gospel and Jesus Christ. 

After a week we also saw (investigator)! YAY! And the miracle this week is that after weeks of telling her to read the Book of Mormon....she read 1 Nephi 2 and 3 on her own! And she marked scriptures and understood the basics and everything!!!! YAY! She was out of town yesterday but she told us she'd tune in to conference. We'll see how she liked it!

Well...tomorrow I'll be 21....wow...birthdays on the mission are WEIRD because it does not feel like it's been a year since I was at Sister (name)'s house in (diff city) having my birthday there. Tomorrow I will be enjoying dinner at the (member's) house....cafe rio! Yay..I have been craving that for the longest time!!!!  :) (thanks for sending the recipe) Today for preparation day we are going to bowl! I'm still deciding who we want to visit and teach tomorrow and all so next week I'll let you know what else I did. 

Well family thanks for being so great! I love you all! I hope you know that. Every night in my prayers I thank our Heavenly Father for giving me you guys. I can't go a day without being grateful for you! And I'm grateful to be serving here in Canada. These last few weeks have been good...but yesterday I had a "wake up call" that I need to be MORE GRATEFUL for this wonderful opportunity to serve my brothers and sisters here. Yes, missions are HARD. But I'm so grateful for how my mission has changed others' lives as well as mine....and I hope that I can continue to change lives and continue to change my life. Not every woman can say they've served a mission when they were 19 years old. I'm so grateful I came to earth at THIS time....what an exciting time to be here! :) 

....so from Elder Ballard's talk he mentioned we should be talking about Preach My Gospel more. So I'll end with one of my favorite quotes by Jeffrey R. Holland (pg 185)

"More important than speaking is listening. These people are not lifeless objects disguised as a baptismal statistic. They are children of God, our brothers and sisters, and they need what we have. Be genuine. Reach out sincerely. Ask these friends what matters most to them. What do they cherish, and what do they hold dear? And then listen. If the setting is right, you might ask what their fears are, what they yearn for, or what they feel is missing in their lives. I promise you that something in what they say will always highlight a truth of the gospel about which you can bear testimony and about which you can then offer more...If we listen with love we won't need to worry what to say. It will be given to us-by the spirit and by our friend."

Sometimes...we feel nervous about HOW to bring up the gospel to family/friends...but if we really listen and prayerfully look for opportunities to bear our testimony, we will know what to say. I KNOW this is so true...The times where I've been so worried about WHAT to say were much harder than the times where I listened to people and didn't worry as much about what I would sound like...Let's treat people: less actives, non members, ANYONE, as people...not anything else. 

LOVE YOU!

SISTER OGDEN :)

At the Lake


(Spring... where are you?)




No comments:

Post a Comment